Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 03 - Your views on drugs and alcohol.

I actually started out being petrified of alcohol, because my grandfather is an alcoholic and I was afraid that I would immediately turn into one when I started drinking. Thankfully that didn't happen. I'm cool with alcohol in moderation. I still don't like being around strangers who are drinking or people getting sloppy drunk, it freaks me out. I do think the legal age for drinking should be lowered to 18-making a substance so forbidden for so long just makes people more likely to abuse it when they do get a hold of it.
I think marijuana should be legalized. It's pretty obvious that for some people it's beneficial for dealing with chronic pain, and as far as most drugs go, it's comparatively harmless. Alcohol does more damage than pot. That said, I've never tried it, and if I do, I don't want to smoke it. Smoking anything generally doesn't make for happy lungs.
As far as harder drugs, some of those I can't see any reason to use, so I'm more ambivalent about their illegality. However, I do wish that the government would change research rules in regards to illegal drugs. You can't do research on Schedule I drugs. That's a bummer, because Ecstasy seemed to show promise as a useful drug for schizophrenia before it was made illegal. Since it's Schedule I, all that promise translated into a whole lot of nothing. So I would certainly be for relaxing research standards on currently illegal drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment