Sunday, July 28, 2013

Newest Plants

Holub Greenhouse in Ames had a 50% plant sale so of course, I stopped by after popping into lab to pull some plates from the incubator. I was interested in some cacti and succulents since I set up a second lighting system. Pictures will be forthcoming but I thought I'd talk about what I got first.
The first thing I picked up is a Madagascar Palm. They're not really palms, they're succulents. They're very spiny and can eventually get quite large. Mine is a baby, barely a foot tall, so it has lots of room for growth. I posted a photo of a big one in my Belle Isle conservatory posts so you can see what an adult looks like. I'm excited for this one because it's such a neat plant!
I also got a cactus, my first dangerously spiny one. The rainbow cactus and the old man cactus that I have aren't that poky. This one was labeled as a Thelocactus. I don't know which species it is but I'll figure it out eventually. I didn't even notice when I picked it out, but it has a flower bud on it! So hopefully that will bloom soon. That will be really cool as I've never had a cactus bloom.
The last one I picked up is another succulent, Blue Chalk Sticks. It's a Senecio species, but I forget which one. It's a fairly popular succulent so I'm glad I found one. I still have to put it in a bigger pot but it looks very cool.
The next thing I need to do for my plants is getting another fluorescent shop light, which would bring my total to three. The third one will hopefully be for slightly taller plants so that I have space for the plants to grow that need to stay under lights all the time. Then I'll have a lot of room for plants that need permanent space under lights like the cacti and space for seed starting, as well as room for perpetual indoor vegetable production. That's the plan with my lettuce as it's probably going to get very warm again before summer is over. So the lettuce stays inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment