Saturday, July 20, 2013

Belle Isle Conservatory, Detroit: Part 2

 I think this is some kind of lady slipper. It was very pretty close up.
This is the top of the main part of the building and the palms that grow all the way to ceiling. I was looking almost straight up when I took the picture. 
This is a Japanese Maple tree. I had only seen these as bonsai before and not full sized. 
This picture and the next several are all different kinds of orchids. There was a decent orchid collection here.
Except this, this is a spider lily. More orchids below. 
This is the outdoor water lily garden. There were some big carp and koi in the pond. 
This is a Madagascar palm! It looks really cool. I just found out I can get a baby version of this at my local nursery so I might have to pick one up!
The Old Man cactus. I have a much smaller one. I hope someday he gets that big. 
 This is some kind of palm or cycad. It was enormous. Again, I'm looking straight up.
More palms against the glass dome. 
 This is a spiral palm. I think they are really cool but I haven't been able to find one to buy.
 More palms. 
This is a purple clematis. It was outside near the water lily area. I like clematis but I don't have room for them. I need a yard. 
This is a little park area outside of the formal gardens. I just thought it looked pretty. It would be a nice place to spend a good afternoon. 
Shrimp Plant. I don't know anything about it but the flowers do look like shrimp.
String of buttons! It's a succulent. I want one of these too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment