Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Medical Stuff

I had a doctor's appointment on Monday. The good news is that I'd lost a couple of pounds since I'd been there last month. Yay! That made me happy because I've been trying really hard to get into the weight loss groove and really eat better. It's been up and down but overall I've been doing a little bit better with eating less. I had a bunch of blood work done too, which is not fun. I always get faint. Thankfully, the ladies in the lab are really good and it didn't hurt too much. Plus they gave me an apple juice after I was done so that I felt better. They called today to give me the lab results. They're mailing the results too, so I didn't get any specific numbers. The good news is that my blood sugar and thyroid are totally normal. That's a relief because Type II diabetes runs in my family like crazy so I worry about that the most. The bad news is that my triglycerides are high. They didn't say how high, and I wasn't given a prescription, so probably not mega-high. They also mentioned a liver enzyme that was high, but I don't know which one or if that's related to the triglycerides or not. The way to deal with it is the same stuff I've been working on to lose weight-more exercise, less sugary foods, less trans fats. The other thing is more omega-3 fatty acids. I don't eat a lot of fish because it's so expensive, and fish oil capsules are huge and taste like butts. Today I was able to find krill oil capsules, which are smaller and don't taste awful. Hopefully those will also help.

1 comment:

  1. Try cod liver oil pills! I take those, and they have Omega fatty acids in them too. They are small and also have Vitamin A and Vitamin D in them.(FWIW, I take fish oil, cod liver oil, and a whole host of other vitamins, so I can fill you in on good brands to buy and take. Hy-Vee makes a kind of fish oil pill that I love that doesn't taste like butt or give you the "fish burps.") Tilapia is a good, cheap fish to buy too. We eat a lot of different types of fish at our house.

    ReplyDelete