Monday, October 21, 2013

First Frost

When I stepped outside this morning, I was greeted by frost on my car's windshield. I guess that technically the first frost has occurred. Supposedly we may get some snow tonight, although I really hope the weathermen are lying about that. Since it's the first frost, all of my sensitive plants have been moved inside for the winter. Luckily I still have some cold weather herbs going as well as my carrots. The sempervivum, jovibarba, and passiflora are all cold hardy, so they should be safe to stay outside. Apparently sempervivum actually like to have a cold weather period. If it snows too much I might need to cover them with tarp or towels, but otherwise they should be okay all winter. I certainly hope that's the case because I'll be very upset if any of my plants die!
Today I received some 'Curly' Epiphyllum seeds that I've got to start soon. Epiphyllum are very pretty cacti and I really hope they germinate and grow well. I have to get some pots and more soil first, but at least I'll have one project to put some energy into while it gets cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment