Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I can't stop buying plants!

Everytime I get another plant I tell myself that I have enough, but I always get more. Luckily I have plenty of room still and could get another grow light if I wanted, so I'm safe for now. I just like getting interesting plants and trying to grow a bunch of them. I want to eventually start a business so the more experience I have with a variety of plants, the better. 
 I got this adorable little guy at the Des Moines Farmer's Market for one dollar! It's a Mimosa pudica, also called the Sensitive Plant. When you touch the leaves they curl up as a defense mechanism. It can eventually get pretty big so I might have a mimosa tree some day!
 This is a Cylindropuntia imbricata. It's a funky looking cactus that I just got. I hope it will flower next year because the flowers are supposed to be pretty.
 This is an Adenia glauca. It's kind of similar to Adenium obesum, which are the seedlings in the background of the photo. It has the big caudex at the bottom that stores. water.
 Here's a brand new Adenia glauca leaf! The top snapped off this plant when it was shipped to me, but it's already growing from the top again.
 Another new cactus-this one is a Mammillaria sempervivi. It has small spines but they hurt! I accidentally poked myself when I was transplanting it. The fuzz on top is pretty cool too.
 This is my first Agave. It's an Agave victoriae reginae, named after Queen Victoria. These only flower every 20-30 years so if I can keep it alive for that long I will be rewarded with some nice flowers!
Finally I got a Haworthia truncata! I've wanted one of these for months, since the first time I saw a picture of one. They are so weird looking so I immediately was hooked. I got it at Arid Lands Nursery which sells a lot of interesting cacti and succulents. I'll probably get more plants from them because they ship incredibly fast and their prices are really good, and there's lots of plants available there that I haven't found anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment