Saturday, May 25, 2013

May 25th

It is cold and rainy today. It should not be in the 50s during the day when it's almost June, that is just ridiculous. The cool weather is making me a bit nervous about how much of a harvest I'm going to get out of my tomatoes. They really need some warmer temperatures. If it would stay in the 70s that would help a lot. Same thing for the basil, I can't even leave it out overnight yet. They're just too tender.
I did manage to find some small tomato cages today, so my tomatoes are caged now. That will help protect them from the wind and keep the branches from breaking when the tomatoes grow. It was harder than I expected to find cages for smaller tomato plants. Most of them were 5 feet tall, and my plants won't get taller than 2.5 feet. So I finally found some 3 foot cages which are good enough.
The only thing the cooler weather will be good for are the chives and carrots. I was surprised the carrots came up at all, and the chives are still pretty small. So maybe this will help them get a little stronger. They prefer cooler weather so maybe it's not all a lost cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment