Monday, April 16, 2012

Big Decision

I've been thinking about this for a while, and now I've talked to my advisor and made the decision, so I feel comfortable telling the rest of the universe.
I'm dropping down from the PhD program to the MS program in microbiology.
I've had a very difficult semester. I don't see myself going to school for five years before I get any payoff, and moving to the MS program ensures that I can be done and leave with an advanced degree if I so choose. I could choose to keep going, maybe that's what will happen, but for now I'm moving to an MS. My advisor was really helpful and is very encouraging, so I feel like the department is going to help me succeed. Now I just need to find someone who is willing to let me rotate in their lab and take on a master's student. Hopefully that will happen soon and I can get started on a project.
I feel very relieved and at peace about this decision. I just don't see myself in academia for the rest of my life, so I'm not sure a PhD is even necessary at this point.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate and see your reasoning behind this. This is why I got an MA for my history degree instead of a Ph.D., and I'm SOOOO glad that I did. I'm so flipping sick of school, even though I love the subjects. I just want to be a grown-up with an 8-5pm job, pay my student loans, and live my life. There's no need to go through a bunch of schooling to keep learning things.

    ReplyDelete