Monday, January 24, 2011

1.24.2011

My grandfather is much worse. At this point we are being told that it is hours to days. The situation is pretty much as crappy as it can possibly be. There's not a lot else to say about it right now.
Work is actually going pretty well. Aliccia has come up with a bunch of different experiments, and she is planning them all in a way that enables us to get out several papers fairly quickly. I'm plating for an ATP assay this week, and next week I'm plating for a ROS assay and making virus for an array knockdown. It's a lot of work, especially since we moved and don't have everything in place yet, but it's nice to be actually planning real experiments instead of just sitting around. Aliccia also said that the goal is to have at least one paper in publication/in press with my name on it by the time I leave for graduate school.
At least, I hope I'll be leaving for graduate school. My application to Iowa State's microbiology PhD program has been complete and in the committee's hands for a little more than a week now. I'm trying to be patient, although that isn't my best trait. I'm really hoping to hear something by mid-February, at least an invitation to come interview. I'm fairly confident that I'll get into the program, but it's not a sure thing and I'm extremely nervous. I really don't want to go anywhere else for graduate school, and I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get in. If all else fails, I can take a couple of classes at Wayne State and then reapply next year, but I really want to get moving with my life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really, REALLY sorry to hear about your grandpa. Hopefully things go easy for him and he's not in a lot of pain. Hopefully you'll get back into ISU too! Then you can come visit me!

    ReplyDelete