Sunday, September 11, 2011

First year homesickness, part 1

Today I was really hit hard by a wave of homesickness that I can't really explain. I think it may have been triggered by the fact that this week I officially take possession of the title to my car and register it in Iowa, getting Iowa plates and all. I've never had to do any of that before, I've always driven on my dad's insurance and he owns the car, so it's weird and new and freaks me out. But yeah, I felt so homesick that I cried a lot for no reason and eventually called home for the second time in one day so I could talk to somebody.
I guess part of it is that I do live alone, and I like that, but I feel isolated from my friends because they all live in Des Moines and I'm in Ames. And I don't want to butt in on their lives every weekend just so I don't feel lonely. Plus I'm single, and it's really hard to be single and away from my family, because I'm not physically near anyone that I'm super super close to. I don't really know how to do that yet and it's kind of hard. I really want to date and have a relationship, but I don't want to just date the first person that shows any interest because I'm desperate. But I am kind of lonely. I really don't know what to do about that.
Hopefully I'll feel better because tomorrow it's back to school and lab and I'll be busy. This Saturday I've planned to go see the BodyWorlds exhibit at the Des Moines Science Center, since I've never been and I have really wanted to see it for a while. I'm hoping that just getting out of the house for a while will help me feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwh. You can always butt in my life here! =) And on some weekends we have Arwen, and she LOVES biology and human body stuff, so you could tell her all kinds of cool things. That was something that was kinda hard for me to deal with in grad school also....the living alone part. I didn't have it as bad as you in that my family was just an hour and a half away, but it sucked in that I didn't really have any friends in the grad dept yet (this was pre-Adam!) and I lived all by myself and had no one to hang out with. So, I totally get you there. Things *will* get better though, the longer you're there and the more people you meet.

    BTW, the Body Worlds exhibit is super awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad I have somebody's life to butt into :)

    ReplyDelete