Monday, September 20, 2010

Complications

So, as I alluded to in my last post, things have gotten very complicated regarding my work situation. I feel like it is now safe and appropriate for me to go into more detail. Basically, two Fridays ago my boss was fired from one of his positions. He had a dual appointment at the cancer center and the university, and the job he lost was the one at the cancer center. Because of that, he no longer has control of the grant that I am paid off of. So now I have no boss, and nothing to do at my job, and no idea if I will even keep my position. My supervisor (postdoc) and another tech are in the same boat as I am. We haven't received any communication from the Powers That Be, and my ex-boss doesn't have any information yet either. So it's possible that I will lose my job. My ex-boss mentioned to me that he may move to another university and would like to take me with him. That would be cool, but I don't know how long it will take to transfer and if it will even happen at all. So everything is up in the air at the moment.
The good news is that I do have an emergency fund that I can pay expenses off of if I get laid off, and I should qualify for unemployment benefits. In addition, I do have an inheritance coming from my great-aunt's estate, so I could completely pay off my student loans from that. Lastly, I am applying to graduate school next month, so it's possible that I may only be jobless for seven or eight months or so. My health insurance also won't be an issue-one of the good things from the health care bill is that I could go back on my father's insurance in January, so I would only have to pay out the ass for COBRA for a few months.
The worst part of this all is the uncertainty. I just wish that someone would tell me one way or the other if I have a job. That's the most annoying part.

No comments:

Post a Comment